Sunday, October 18, 2009

Why did I fall in Love with Gap?

Looking back thru time I actually found my answer. It actually went back to primary school when I was at the age of 9 or 10 years old. I remembered going to one of my cousins' wedding in Kuala Lumpur. She got married to an American lecturer who was posted to Malaysia. After their marriage, she went to USA to follow her husband.

Somehow I did not like the idea of marrying a foreigner and leaving home. So I vowed never to fall in love with a foreigner. I was being young and had ridiculous ideas. After that I forgot about the whole thing.

When I was sent to USA to further my studies, I really didn't assimilate into the local culture. I was afraid that I might lose my identity and get into trouble. So I did not have many Amerian friends. I stayed in safe boundries and did not have the courage to mix with other cultures. At the young age of 18, being far away from home and easily influence, that seems to be the safest thing to do.

After completing my degree, I worked for Motorola which is an American company. The head office was in Phoenix, Arizona. During that time Motorola was very strong and have presence in several countries including three factories in Malaysia. The first time when I met Gap was in Malaysia when he was attending a meeting at one of the factories. It was actually my first week at the Information Systems (IS) department. I was new then and thus I was not introduce to the visitors that came for the meeting.

One day as I was entering the IS dept, I saw Gap with a lady. They looked beautiful together. And so I told myself that I want a boyfriend just like Gap. At that time I did not know who Gap was. In a way, God had granted me my wish! Just that I did not realize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment